Friday, October 24, 2008

Long Island Blues

We're just home from a manic drive through Long Island.  OMG--how do people live there?  Crazy drivers going 40 in the middle lane while other crazies zig-zag around them.  Did stop to see the Gilbert and George exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art--the young Latina woman in the gift store supporting the show asked me if I like them and seemed both surprised and pleased when I said "yes."  She likes that they're unafraid to tackle topics that most people won't; I like that they formed a basis for their lives (life?) as artists way back in the early 70s and have stuck to it, suits and all.  I also approve their refusal to do Abstract Expressionism, especially now that I know that they were the first to do so.  Some of their epic pictures are beautiful, some are ugly, much like the world is right now.  A worthwhile stop.

On the dark/downside, our new Tom-tom gps routed us through lower Manhattan, a total nightmare.  We drove right past ground zero, which continues to look like a ground up mess.  

Frazzled?  Indeed, although we do have an Abyssinian kitten picked out, and we did have a great night full of sidecars and steaks and great baseball.  And the drive up Jones Beach wasn't bad either.


2 comments:

Toddy said...

Long Island is the purgatory I never expected. Don't tell them I said that.

Monica said...

We have a friend at MOMA who speaks highly of the Brooklyn Museum -- and we saw G&G at the DeYoung this spring (Tate in tow). What? Like he's never seen poop before.